When you think you can’t go a little bit further…
Enjoy and don’t place limits on what you can do.
Have you ever wanted to do something but when you found out what it would take you thought, “this is too hard’? Well unfortunately I see it more often than not with the many people I speak with daily. As humans we don’t like to be uncomfortable, we don’t like to do things that will cause pain, and most importantly we don’t like to change. Change hurts!
This Saturday I was pleasantly surprised and inspired by 2 people in particular. The first was my amazing assistant and cousin Mel, the other was Amber one of our VIP Miami Fit Body Boot Camp members and now good friend.
I finished running at 7AM and both of them were waiting for me to start their run. Today they had their first 7 miler but I couldn’t go with them because I had to go to work. After I explained where they needed to go they both took off without hesitation. I was hoping it was going to go well but I wasn’t sure because both had been recovering from the flu and stomach virus. I went to work, our first Saturday boot camp training session, and people kept coming in…29 in all! And 2 of the 29 people were Mel and Amber. They finished their 7 miler and came back in time to do the boot camp!
Everyone did amazing at the boot camp but I was really pumped up about Mel and Amber. They ran 7 miles for the first time ever, then came back and totally rocked it at the boot camp. They were pushing the other members to keep going as if they were fresh. Here are the life lessons I learned after being inspired with Mel and Amber’s performance that will help guarantee you achieve your dreams.
1. Get a GPS: In order for the GPS to get you were you want to go you must let it know where you want to go. So the first thing you need is to know what your goal or dreams are. The more specific the more precise you can be about preparing and the quicker you will get to your goal. The journey is definitely more fun than the destination but you need to have the right people with you and you must know your destination.
2. Chicken fighting: If you have ever participated in the age old game of chicken fighting you know you need a partner. One of you is the base and the other is fighter. This is really important when trying to achieve your goals. So find a friend that has similar goals and take the journey together. Hold each other accountable, support each other, motivate each other, and cheer each other.
3. Slap yourself in the face: This is not a typo, go ahead do it… what do you feel? The point is WAKE UP, in today’s society most people live in a comatose state. They do the same things day in and day out. They have very little excitement (especially at work) and it trickles to all levels throughout their life. Change is difficult but so worth it. When you challenge yourself and surpass all the obstacles like people trying to hold you back or getting sick or laziness you come out a stronger person. That forms momentum that can take you beyond your self imposed limitations.
4. Get Mr. Miyagi: All of the most successful people have mentors or coaches. In order to be successful find your “Mr. Miyagi” (Karate Kid, just in case) and have him mentor you. You need that 3rd party to objectively help you see more opportunities and possible pitfalls. A coach has knowledge in the area, has been through it, studies it, lives it. If you haven’t found one this could be the missing ingredient to your success.
5. Have fun: If you don’t have fun you won’t stick with it. Enough said…really find a way to make it whether by surrounding yourself with other like minded people or an environment that makes it fun. I had a boot camp member tell me “Your workouts are intense but fun and I feel I get so much more than when I just going to the gym that is so boring.” So find a way or place to make achieving your goals more fun.
Yes all diets work and all diets do fail. What the heck does that mean? Let’s break it down. This is what I mean, if you do any diet on the market (which by the way there are new ones coming out everyday) you will lose weight. Some are better than others and some are healthier than others. I am sure most of you have tried one or more diets in your life and have lost some weight. Then what happens? Well usually you will stop seeing results so you get frustrated or it becomes too boring or too hard to follow the diet with your lifestyle. So really what is the problem?
Mindset. Mindset is everything. Here is the reality, most people fail not because they are doing the wrong diet or wrong exercises but because they start with wrong mindset. If you have a short term mindset you will have short term results but if you have what I call a “Lifestyle Mindset” you will set yourself up for success.
A “Lifestyle Mindset” has you focus on the big picture. Your life is uniquely yours and no one else will have the same obstacles and time constraints that you have. So the important thing is saying, “Can I do this for the rest of my life?” A diet is not one of them. A diet has a start and an end. Below I have addressed 3 steps to success with your health and fitness goals.
3 Steps to Success
1. Know what you want. [As the saying goes if you don’t know where you are going you won’t know when you are there.]
2. Give yourself the opportunity to succeed. [Celebrate the little things and don’t worry if you are not perfect at first. Think of a baby, you don’t wait until he is doing something perfect before you give him praise. If he is even close you get all excited. Do the same for yourself; be flexible.]
3. Surround yourself with a good support crew that knows what you want and will help you and hold you accountable. [This is so important, we all need and want to be praised as well as pushed to be better. This may be your family (lucky you) but remember chose your peer group and love your family.]
I hope this helps you get started on your path to success. I know many of you struggle with nutrition so I have attached my Habits for Nutritional Success (CLICK HERE).
Please leave you comments and questions below. I want your feedback. Thanks.