I don’t really think I need to say anything but Wow! How important is it to truly comprehend the power of words. You can literally change the world. Embrace the power of words and use it to create that world you have always dreamed of today.
The other day I posted a workout on Facebook that I struggled with. It was simple, 300 push-ups and 300 Jumping Jacks. After about 100 push-ups I wanted to give up.
Who is going to know?
Is it really that important to finish?
Anyways that same night I got a message from a friend on Facebook. It perfectly illustrated how to think and overcome these inner demons or funks that we are all susceptible to.Hey man, your post touched on something my wife and I talked about today. I’ve been in a funk the past week and, no surprise, my weight loss suffered because of it. That only served to enhance my funk. Today I discussed it with my wife, saying, “I feel like I’m a slave to these funks. They always happen, no matter how positive I feel going into battle with my weight. And they pretty much always derail me.”
We realized that we keep waiting for this magic spell to be cast where we stay motivated every day and we’re able to put in the work we need to in order to reach our goals. That just isn’t true. Funks are part of the process and we have to accept them.
There will be days, no matter how far we’ve gone, that we’ll wake up not wanting to do a damn thing and wanting to eat everything in sight. Accept that these days are part of the process, trust the process and move on. Push through the funks and you’ll eventually make it through to the other side. And you’ll most likely be even more motivates to continue because you’ve jumped over such a huge personal hurdle.
We’re implementing this mindset, getting our workouts in, watching what we eat and it’s already gone a long way to help with the funk because we’re not afraid of it. We just accept that it’ll happen, that it’ll most likely happen again and that we just need to keep moving forward.
So what was the difference between 100 and 300 push-ups for me?
Mentally when I overcame my minds weakness and achieved my goal I felt so empowered and unstoppable. That made all the difference in the world for my confidence and the way I look at life. If life puts up a wall in front of me, perhaps I can find a way around it but how about just kicking it down. It doesn’t have to be pretty “Just Do It.”
How Do You Battle Your Inner Demons? Leave a Comment Below…
When you think you can’t go a little bit further…
Enjoy and don’t place limits on what you can do.
So my son, Mandy is taking swim lessons. This is a full immersion course where in 5 continuous days they are able to take him from a sinking rock to a survivor (pardon the analogies but you get the picture). So I was thinking that often time we extend and drag out many things in our life because we don’t commit and focus 100%.
Now I know what you must be thinking…
I am too busy, my kids have a million activities…(See video below to continue the list excuses)[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDYE49KPlQ&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Excuses are everywhere it is up to you to take action and achieve what you want (just like Michele did).
1. Post-It Notes: The night before write on 1 post it note the top 3 things that must be done in order for you day to be productive. If you are a business owner that may be the top 3 things that are going to generate income. If you are a stay at home mom it may be the top 3 things that will leave you satisfied once you are done (I know for my wife it’s having the kitchen clean -a must!).
2. Count Down Timer: Give yourself a deadline. By using a countdown timer you will waste less time because you know you will have only 20 minutes to complete you task (i.e. cleaning the kitchen, sending emails, surfing the net). Think full immersion in chunks.
3. Schedule Time: Block off time to do these important task and don’t allow anything to get in the way of that when at all possible. (Remember you can always come up with an excuse but if you want something bad enough nothing will get in you way.)
4. Phone Off: Probably responsible for lots of wasted time. When doing your tasks put the phone on silent and in another room if possible until you are done. I can guarantee most things are not that important that it can’t wait another half an hour when you are done.
5. Do, Don’t Think: The purpose of this phrase is so you take action. Often time we end up paralyzed by all the details or unknowns. Take action first and get the momentum then correct as you go. As the saying goes, “actions speak louder than words.”
As for Mandy and his great swim instructor Tall Tom he has done an amazing job. I love this immersion stuff. I feel so much more comfortable having him in the pool now. Oh and Tall Tom says he can hold his breath for a long time. That must mean he must have a good VO2 max.
Please leave your comments and let me know what your thoughts are.
PS – Anyone looking for a great swim instructor for you kids, call Tall Tom 772-618-3599. Tell him you are good friends with me. Happy Full Immersion 😉