What it means to be “A Real Man”
Be a Man!
What does that mean?
I am very fortunate that I have had my father as a great example to show me and tell me what being a man is all about.
I know that being a “real man” may seem pretty straight forward but the more men I meet the more I realize it is not so straight forward. I want to clarify what it means to be “A Real Man”. In today’s society too many of our men have grown up with no stable male figurehead. They learned “how to be a man” by watching TV (which is trash), learned by watching their friends (who often times are in the same situation as them or worse than they are), or they have have had to figure it out on their own by some other means.
I have a great role model who continues to show me and inspire me daily on what it means to be a real man and I want to share what he has taught me.
The purpose of this post…
The purpose of the post is to share the wisdom that my father taught me. I feel his example and wisdom has made me the man I am today. Also, as so much of what I write here, I want this to serve as an archive for my son who is only 3 years old.
19 Virtues My Father Taught Me On How To Be A Real Man
(*NOTE: These virtues are in no particular order but I felt they were all important.)
- A Real Man says what he means and means what he says.
- A Real Man opens the door for a lady.
- A Real Man is honest in all he does and says.
- A Real Man has integrity that will not be compromised by circumstance.
- A Real Man takes responsibility for his actions.
- A Real Man helps and serves others who are struggling or want to be great.
- A Real Man loves wholeheartedly.
- A Real Man is not afraid to cry and show emotions.
- A Real Man must be strong and the head of his house.
- A Real Man communicates with his words not with his fists.
- A Real Man confronts his problems, not runs away from them.
- A Real Man demands and expects excellence from himself and those around him.
- A Real Man is a leader by his actions first, then his words.
- A Real Man values his family and spends time with them. They are most important.
- A Real Man focuses his time doing the most important things with the most important people in his life first then focuses on the rest.
- A Real Man works hard and doesn’t seek short cuts. That being said he also seeks to improve and make more efficient his methods and his work.
- A Real Man is a provider and protector.
- A Real Man says please and thank you.
- A Real Man seeks to make the world a better place.
Please share this with any man you feel may benefit.
I want to share one last thing that my father taught me. Never be afraid to fail. “If at first you don’t succeed try and try again.” None of us are perfect but striving for perfection is something we can all do. No matter how many times you fail get back up and keep persisting until you achieve what you want. Thank you for letting me share what my father taught me on how to be a Real Man.
Thank you Papi for your great example, for your love, and for your friendship!