Salads. Most people think salad and they think iceberg lettuce, some pale tomato slices, maybe some onions, and some dressing to wash it down. How boring and frankly I see why people to don’t really care for them. So my objective today is to get you to commit to being creative when making your next salad, which should be daily. Below you will find my Fabulous 5 Key Elements to making delicious, nutritious salads you will crave and your body will demand. Let’s get started.
Armando’s Fabulous 5 Key Elements to Delicious & Nutritious Salads
1. Get Your Grass On: Fresh Quality Organic Greens (Spinach, Mixed greens, Romaine Lettuce, Chard, Collard Greens…) will form the base of your salad. It the building block of your salad so don’t sacrifice in quality.
2. Get Your Crunch On: Most peoples idea of crunch in a salad is croutons. That is for boring unhealthy people but for you, you will sprinkle carrots or flax seed crackers or sprouts… the list goes on and on. The point is see what you like and explore from there for the ultimate crunch in your salad.
3. Get Your Color On: The more colors = the more nutritious because color in foods indicate certain essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients our body craves. Also if the salad has more colors it will be visually attractive and taste better. So get colorful and have fun with it.
4. Get Your Fat On: Good fats are a must. Nuts, avocado, olive oil, flax seeds are examples of great sources of good fats. They help with brain function, decreased inflammation, and yes weight loss (imagine that, LOL).
5. Get Your Protein On: Protein will help build and maintain strong muscles plus will add different texture to your salad. Protein can be in the form of meats, chicken, fish, beans, eggs, yogurt and others. This will keep the salad hearty and filling.
*Bonus – Get Your Inner Explorer On: This is where you through out all your preconceived notions as to what a salad should be and get creative. To help you visit farmers markets, different types of restaurants, and search online for ideas to new recipes. You will start seeing different elements that your palate really appreciates. (One that I found delicious is adding blueberries to my salad plus some balsamic vinegar. The vinegar really brings out the sweetness of the blueberries).
This could be a topic all by itself but the important part of all dressings are the ingredients. Ideally you would make your own dressing. There are many recipes online. Use the best ingredients to get the best taste. Personally I love a hearty amount of olive oil on my salad. If you are going to buy a salad dressing read the ingredients and you should be able get all the ingredients at the store (i.e. if it looks like a list for a chemistry project or you can’t pronounce it, has coloring, has natural flavors added then put it back.)
[*NOTE: Do you know why they have to put natural flavoring? Because they have processed and killed all the ingredients so much that it taste horrible. So they add this flavoring so that it taste like something you have had before or something palatable.]
Please Leave A Comment Below. What Did You Think About This Post?